What is the difference between onsite and offsite data backup?
There are two data storage options for businesses. These are onsite and offsite data backups. In this article, we are going to take you through what the difference is between onsite and offsite backup. Additionally, also go through the pros and cons of each as well. By the end of this article, you will be able to make an informed decision whether your business should store its data onsite, offsite, or even use a hybrid of both!
What is onsite backup?
Onsite backup is data that is stored on a local storage device on the premises of your business. An example of onsite backups is storing data on hard drives.
- As the data is stored on premises, you can access your company data immediately.
- Internet access is not needed, as everything is stored offline.
- Performance can be faster.
- You are in control of your own data security.
- Data can be destroyed if there is a fire or flood in your workplace.
- Data can be physically stolen. Causing a loss in time, money and data for the company.
- Set up and deployment cost can be expensive.
- You are responsible for any security and firmware updates, and the installation of software patches.
What is offsite backup?
Offsite backup is data that is stored on a remote server, such as cloud storage. Here at DataUP, we provide offsite data backups. Click here to learn more.
- You can access your data from anywhere, as long as you’re connected to the Internet
- Data will be protected in the event that there is a fire or flood in the workplace.
- Save money, as you don’t need to purchase new equipment to set up.
- Backups are automated
- Affordable, you only pay for what you use
- Scalability, you can increase or decrease your storage as required
- Managed service, we will manage and maintain the service for you.
- You may not be able to access your data during server maintenance and updates
- Some data applications may perform better using local storage solutions.
Which storage option you choose for your business will depend on your needs and requirements. You can even use a bit of both options. At DataUP, we provide offsite backup.
Our backup solution can streamline your disaster recovery process by performing complete offsite backup of your data automatically. This solution also supports a range of applications and backup technologies.
If you would like to discuss offsite backups further, get in touch with DataUP, and let our team assist you in finding the best option.